Website Design Steps and Approach to a Good Website Design
Website design- every person claims to be a good website designer but there is more to a website than just creating a good look and feel. It is a marketing tool that needs to leveraged to deliver customers, conversion and revenue (if that is your objective). Visual Design is only element in the complete website design and development and most important is usability and utility. It should serve the purpose it was created for, in the first place.
Stages of Creation of a Website Design:
In relation to the website and framework you would need to identify and put into practice some ways that are usually recommended. With each one of these stages match experience (ergonomics, Persuasion Architecture, data architectural mastery, Content Blue Print, Search Engine Optimisation, composing, etc. ).
Information gathering as the first step in Website Design:
A good website Design will always start with a frank discussion on:
- what are your objectives
- what would you want to achieve
- understanding the customers
- your target markets
- target segments
- products and services
- main proposition
- what percentage of your business is likely to come from online activities
- What do your customers or new prospects expect to be able to accomplish with your business when they come to your web presence
- What impression or message do you want your online presence to convey to your customer
- Where and when is your customer looking for your customer or services
- understanding the customer journey
- What search terms would they use to find you online
- buying decision process and the sales process
- Understanding the competition, their marketing efforts and their search terms
- What do you like about their online presence and what don’t you like
- Your goals for the financial year and marketing objectives
Project stage of a Website Design:
- Reflection upon the purpose of it, its goal, its success, the fiscal means to engage…
- Manifestation upon the intention of the site, its goal, its success, your personal means to indulge
- Reflection on the content: pages, expected services, principles of navigation.
- Reflection of the customer segmentation, demographics, psychographics creating personas
- Reflect and identify your benefits rather than the features
Planning Stage of a Website Design:
- Use the above information that you have gathered wisely and convert that to a user design
- Prepare a content blueprint and site structure blueprint
- Create a easy to understand and use navigation structure
Identify what functionalities you will be using in your Website Design:
- Based on you online business goals identify the functionality that you want to incorporate
- It can be based on leads capture, building a database, capturing booking for your events, building a community around your business., servicing your existing customers and providing a members only access
Implementation of your Website Design:
- Registering of the website domain name
- Selecting a Webhosting service provider
- Choosing and installing a content management system ( SPIP , TYPO3 , Drupal , Joomla , WordPress)
- Utilising a website publisher like WYSIWYG (e.g. Adobe Dreamweaver, phpDesigner 8 , Microsoft FrontPage , NVU , WebSelf) or text (example: Bluefish , Emacs , …).
Design stage of your Website Design:
- Based on the target audience start designing the website look and feel
- Try and maintain a consistent brand image as your other marketing elements to ensure a consistent look and feel and a brand identity
- Use your company logo and your brand colours
- If you are starting from start then the colours and logo should be a starting point.
- Give some thought to the images that you will be using to emotionally connect with your audience
- Navigation will it be horizontal or vertical
- Identify the overall look and feel- busy, clean, edgy, professional, classic, crisp, eye catching, colourful minimalist
- Identify the tone you want to set- happy, sad, serious, fun, informal etc
- Your key message based on your USP
- Establishment of a structure of pages HTML or XHTML .
- Definition of a tree
- Development of a graphic
- Development of an editorial charter.
Your Website Design should be dictated by:
- Developing web-pages using the Content Supervision Process or founder. Web pages may be created individually or dependant on the design technique.
- Implementation of the graphic. Order to separate the structure of the presentation style sheets CSS are used.
- Possible dynamic developments (Form, services, etc.)
- Ensure that the site is in compliances with W3C standards and validates to meet accessibility standards and cross browser compatibility
Follow-up stage of your Website Design:
- Recipe site when ready.
- Launch Site: online
- Ensure that you create a robot.txt file and include that in the root directory
- Ensure that you create a XML sitemap to get it indexed
- Ensure all files are intact
- Ensure all links are functional and not broken
- Announcement. Publicise the site can be achieved by several mechanisms: advertisements, advertising on social platforms, registration in directories …
- Maintenance (new content, corrections, continuous improvement of quality)
The accessibility of the site needs to be taken into account at every stage from the development of the structure of pages in a good Website Design. It is even referencing whose strategy can be implemented at the design stage. Principles of SEO are also taken into account when creating templates, integration of pages, writing content, the launch of the service. The usability is also involved in all stages: design, recipe and audits, continuous improvement in a Website Design
Contact us Today! To get started on Website Design for conversion. We cater to the areas of Hertfordshire and London/Greater London. We would be more than happy to come across and meet you to discuss your requirements in detail.